Who, What, When, Where, How
☞ About Sylvia and Kerstin
⦿ Originator of the personalized NeuroHorizons® Experiential Learning Programs for Professionals and Parents (since 2012). Founder of the NeuroHorizonsEurope professional training program (2020).
⦿ Formerly a Trainer for the Anat Baniel Method® NeuroMovement® Professional and Children's Mastery training programs in California, and a long-time Practitioner at the Anat Baniel Method Center, California (2009-2016).
⦿ Trainer for the NeuroScanBalance® Feinmotorik Institut (since 2013).
⦿ Guild Certified Feldenkrais Practitioner® (since 1994).
⦿ Certified Anat Baniel Method® NeuroMovement® Practitioner (since 2002), with Mastery Certifications for Children with Special Needs, Aging and Vitality, and High Performers (2003).
⦿ Private Practice since 1994.
I was originally trained as a movement educator by Anat Baniel, and worked with her for many years at the Anat Baniel Method Center in California as a Trainer and Practitioner.
In 2012 I saw an unmet need, and created my highly focused and personalized NeuroHorizons® Professional Supervision Intensives, Professional Enrichment Seminars, and Parent Seminars, since attended by hundreds of practitioners, parents, and caregivers from around the world.
I am so excited to be offering with Kerstin our unique and transformative English-language training program for parents and professionals throughout Europe and beyond. We are on a mission to expand the number of skilled movement practitioners who are successfully supporting Special Needs Children!
⦿ Founder of the NeuroScanBalance® Feinmotorik Institut and movement training programs (since 2006).
⦿ Licensed Physical Therapist (Germany) (since 1987).
⦿ Certified Anat Baniel Method® NeuroMovement® Practitioner (since 2012), with Mastery Certifications for Children with Special Needs (2013), Aging and Vitality (2014), and High Performers (2014).
⦿ Hebrew University of Jerusalem: Neurons, Synapses and Brains (2013).
⦿ Certifiicate in Traditional Chinese Medicine, Avicienna Institute, Hamburg (1990-92).
⦿ Private Practice since 1988.
I've always been a very curious Physical Therapist, and I spent many years absorbing and integrating the movement lesson repertoire of Dr. Moshe Feldenkrais. I also immersed myself in the evolving and exciting neuroscience research that describes the potential and power of neural plasticity, and how we can use that information to optimize child development.
This learning transformed my work with both adults and Children With Special Needs, and led to my creation in 2006 of the NeuroScanBalance® Feinmotorik method. I have since trained and certified dozens of movement practitioners in Europe, many of whom now work professionally with children.
I love learning and teaching with Sylvia, and am thrilled to be offering in Europe our dynamic synthesis of Experiential Movement ― all focused on the kids.
☞ Certification and Growing a Clientele
We offer both a “Personal Service” and a “Professional” certification, under the NeuroHorizonsEurope / NeuroScanBalance brandings.
Our “Personal Service” certification is for those who are content with their personal learning, or who will work primarily with family members. Our “Professional” certification is earned after additional practicum experience (more about this below), for those wanting to offer movement education services to the public.
With regard to the “Professional” certification: Please note that neither ours nor any other training program of our genre is able to offer you governmental recognition, licensure, or the promise of any income. Your completion of these programs does not by itself assure employment or earnings. Those of us offering our services to the public as movement educators do so largely “on our own”. You will be solely responsible for your private practice, and for compliance with local laws and regulations covering such services.
Growing a Clientele
It is tempting to believe that the better the “brand recognition” of a modality, the more clients will come. The reality is that most parents “shop around” among multiple modalities until they find a practitioner who earns their (and their child's) trust, regardless of that practitioner’s “certification” or branding.
And, the more embodied and relational the practitioner, the better will be a child's outcomes, with more return visits and word-of-mouth referrals by those grateful clients. The most successful practitioners don’t do much advertising at all; the impressed parents and caregivers do it for them.
In short, it is our embodied personal presence, subtlety, vision, and creative and vital relationships with ourselves and with our clients that make all the difference, not the “certification” paper we hang on the wall.
And, these are the attitudes, tools, and skills that are best learned through the in-person, highly personalized, expertly integrated training curriculum that we offer at NeuroHorizonsEurope. We outline these principles and priorities in our big-picture handbook, The NeuroHorizons Primer.
☞ Program Segments
Our Training comprises 10 convenient 5-day segments at beautiful Ravensburg, Germany, for a total of 50 in-class days over about 15 months. Upon successful completion, you earn the NeuroHorizonsEurope Personal Service Certificate, and the confidence to work with your own children and family.
At your option, you may join our 3-day Professional Supervision Intensives. These are rich practicums in which you work hands-on with many and diverse Special Needs Children, with our close attention and support. Upon successful completion of at least 5 of these Supervision Intensives (a total of 15 in-class days over several months), you qualify as a Certified NeuroHorizons® Experiential Movement™ Practitioner. You may then take your new skills into your professional practice and provide much-needed movement and neuro-education services in your community, throughout Europe, and around the world. NOTE: Learn more about the meaning of "certification" at the tab above.
There will be modest additional inter-Segment assignments and "homework", mostly involving regular home exploration of the Experiential Movement Lessons you are integrating into your daily life. For the Professional Certification, you will also receive personal movement lessons from movement professionals.
Please Note: As described above, the NeuroHorizons Training is presented in English. Kerstin's German language programs are here.
☞ Program Dates
Please Note: Each sequential program Segment builds on the previous Segment(s). So it is important for your learning, as well as for the cohesiveness of our small group, that you commit to attend all of the 10 Segments. Please check the Training dates below for any potential conflicts with your personal calendar. Your Certification may be delayed if you miss all or part of a Segment for any reason.
Now receiving applications.
Space is limited (24 max).
All dates are subject to change based on public health circumstances.
Training #2 (2022-23)
(all at Ravensburg, Germany)
10:00 to 17:00 daily,
except 10:00 to 15:00 last day.
May 18-22, 2022 (Wednesday-Sunday)
June 22-26, 2022 (Wednesday-Sunday)
July 23-27, 2022 (Saturday-Wednesday)
September 14-18, 2022 (Wednesday-Sunday)
October 12-16, 2022 (Wednesday-Sunday)
November 16-20, 2022 (Wednesday-Sunday)
February 11-15, 2023 (Saturday-Wednesday)
March 29 - April 2, 2023 (Wednesday-Sunday)
May 24-28, 2023 (Wednesday-Sunday)
To Be Determined
3-day Professional Supervision Intensives
(Only required for the Professional Certification, but open to all participants)
PSIs need not be taken in sequence.
PSI #1 September 18-20, 2021 (Ravensburg) COMPLETED
PSI #2 October 30 - November 1, 2021 (Ravensburg) COMPLETED
PSI #3 February 6-8, 2022 (Ravensburg) COMPLETED
PSI #4 February 10-12, 2022 (Ravensburg) COMPLETED
PSI #5 April 5-7, 2022 (Ravensburg)
PSI #6 April 8-10, 2022 (Ravensburg)
PSI #7 May 14-16, 2022 (Ravensburg)
☞ Tuition and Policies
Tuition for each of the 10 five-day Segments is €1.200 (travel, food, and lodging are not included), for a total program tuition of €12.000 (spread over about 15 months) to earn your NeuroHorizons Personal Service Certificate.
If you join us for the optional practicum work to qualify as a Certified NeuroHorizons™ Experiential Movement™ Practitioner (five 3-day Professional Supervision Intensives, for a total of 15 in-class days), the additional tuition is €720 for each of those five Intensives, a total of €3.600.
A further requirement for the Professional Certification is that you receive 10 movement lessons during the course of the Training from at least three different certified NeuroHorizons, NeuroScanBalance, Feldenkrais Method, or Anat Baniel Method practitioners. Your cost for these lessons will vary according to the practitioners you choose to work with.
Please Note: The Training is limited to 24 participants. To register, please be in touch with the instructors (use the contact form below). We look forward to speaking with you! Upon our approval of your application, your deposit will hold your place in the Training.
Tuition & Policies
updated January 1, 2022
1. Each sequential program Segment builds on the previous Segment(s). It is therefore important for your learning (and for earning your NeuroHorizons certificate), as well as for the cohesiveness of our small group, that you commit to attend all of the 10 Segments. Please check the Segment dates now to address any potential conflicts with your personal calendar. Note: These dates may be subject to change based on public health circumstances.
2. Tuition for each of the ten 5-day Segments is €1.200 (travel, food, and lodging are not included), payable before each Segment. Total program tuition for the 50 in-class days is €12.000 (paid over about 15 months) for the Personal Service certification.
3. For those choosing Professional certification, there is an additional €720 tuition for each of the five additional 3-day Professional Supervision Intensives (15 class days and €3.600 in total). A further requirement for the Professional certification is that you receive 10 movement lessons during the course of the Training from at least three different certified NeuroScanBalance Method, Feldenkrais, or Anat Baniel Method practitioners. Your cost for these lessons will vary according to the practitioners you choose to work with.
4. The Training is limited to 24 participants. To register, contact the instructors for approval. Your deposit of €800 will hold your place in the Training, and this deposit becomes non-refundable* six weeks prior to the start date. The balance of €400 must be received not later than three weeks prior to the start date to confirm your participation, and is non-refundable.* For each subsequent Segment, full payment of €1.200 is due two weeks prior to that Segment start date.
*Segment tuition payments are refunded in the unlikely event that the instructors need to cancel or re-schedule that Segment for any reason.
5. The Supervision Intensive tuition of €720 is due one month prior to each PSI. The PSIs need not be taken in sequence.
6. Should you choose to withdraw for any reason before completing the Training, any tuition already paid is not refundable.
7. Your Personal Service or Professional certification may be delayed if you miss all or part of a Segment and/or Professional Supervision Intensive for any reason. Whether and how you make up for missed Segments or PSIs is at the sole discretion of the instructors based on all the circumstances.
NOTE: If your attendance at a particular Segment or PSI proves impossible owing to a circumstance beyond your reasonable control (such as a natural disaster, public health emergency lockdown or quarantine, infrastructure breakdown, civil unrest, governmental travel restriction or action, etc.), notify the instructors immediately. We will make reasonable efforts to offer you an interim video curriculum, for which you will pay half of the Segment tuition (€600). Upon the next training cycle, you may be invited to attend the Segment you missed, whereupon you will pay the balance due of €600 for that Segment. Alternatively, the instructors may at their sole discretion offer a different make-up option tailored to all circumstances.
Regardless of the cause of your absence, to complete the Training and earn your Certification(s), you must pay in full for any missed Segments and/or PSIs.
8. Your Professional certification may be delayed if you fail to complete required inter-segment "homework", mostly involving regular home exploration of the Experiential Movement Lessons you are integrating into your daily life, as well as receiving the 10 personal movement lessons per paragraph 3 above.
9. As part of our emphasis on personalized instruction, the instructors support and monitor your learning over time. For purposes of ultimate certification as a NeuroHorizons™ Experiential Movement™ Practitioner, the instructors may require at their discretion that a participant engage in additional class days and/or activities in order to achieve the requisite skill level, prior to certification.
10. Your certification as a NeuroHorizons™ Experiential Movement™ Practitioner is conditioned on your acceptance of the contractual licensing terms provided to participants.
PLEASE NOTE: As is true for all movement education programs of our genre, this Professional Certification is not a governmental recognition, licensure, or permit. Consult the requirements and rules of your local jurisdiction(s) regarding operation of a professional practice, compliance with which is your sole responsibility. We offer more information about what it means to be certified as a movement educator on our NeuroHorizons.eu website (the tab labeled "Certification & Growing Your Clientele").
11. In the unlikely event that the instructors conclude that a participant is not a good fit for the Training, is disruptive to the group or the learning process, or has failed to pay or comply with NHE policies or requirements, the instructors reserve the right to address those issues with the participant and may, in their sole discretion, dismiss that person from the Training, at any time. Should you be dismissed, any tuition already paid is not refundable.
12. We will provide additional program and policy details after your registration, and we may update or change these policies from time to time.
☞ Ravensburg, Germany
88213 RavensburgTravel to Ravensburg:
Friedrichshafen Airport (FDH) = 20 minutes by auto to the venue.
Memmingen Airport (FMM) = 1 hour by auto to the venue.
St. Gallen-Altenrhein Airport (ACH) = 1 hour by auto to the venue.
Stuttgart Airport (STR) = 1.75 hour by auto to the venue.
Munich Airport (MUC) = 2 hours by auto to the venue.
Zurich Airport (ZRH) = 2 hours by auto to the venue.
Basel Airport (BSL) = 2.75 hours by auto to the venue.
Frankfurt Airport (FRA) = 3.5 hours by auto to the venue.
☞ Looking for NeuroHorizons in California?
For those closer to California, Sylvia's NeuroHorizons® Fundamentals of Experiential Movement® seminar series for parents and caregivers, as well as her continuing education programs for practitioners, are described here.
Sylvia's next small-group, in-person California seminar series commences August 27, 2022.
Limited to 14 participants.
Congratulations California Graduates, Class of 2021
NeuroHorizons® Fundamentals of Experiential Movement®
☞ Be in Touch / Save Your Place
We are now enrolling our next training group for the 2022-23 program, commencing March 30, 2022. That Training is also limited to 24 (first-come first-served with our prior approval), so please be in touch soon.
Use our contact form below so that we may answer your questions and talk with you about how our program may suit your needs. If it is a "fit", we will add you to our list, and receipt of your deposit will hold your place.
Even if we are already fully enrolled before we hear from you, we still hope to speak with you! We can place you on our waiting list in the event of later openings.
Please tell us about you and your interest in our Training, and of course your questions! We will be in touch as soon as we can. — Kerstin & Sylvia
A program of
NeuroHorizons®, Experiential Movement®, and A Child's Neural Map is Not the Territory® are registered USA trademarks of Sylvia Shordike.
NeuroScanBalance® is a registered trademark of Kerstin Baldischwieler.
Feldenkrais® and Feldenkrais Method® are registered USA trademarks of Feldenkrais Guild Corporation California.
Anat Baniel Method® and NeuroMovement® are registered USA trademarks of Movement Coordination Learning, Inc. DBA Anat Baniel Method Corporation.
Sylvia is a Guild Certified Feldenkrais Practitioner(CM). Both Sylvia and Kerstin are Certified Anat Baniel Method® NeuroMovement® Childrens Mastery Practitioners.
Our programs are neither affiliated with, nor sponsored or endorsed by, the Feldenkrais Guild or Anat Baniel or the Anat Baniel Method.
All text and photos ©2007-2022 Sylvia Shordike